In This Article
Hello, coffee lovers!
Picture this: It's a Tuesday morning, just like any other. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the scent of freshly brewed coffee is wafting through the air. As per my ritual, I find myself standing in line at my local Starbucks, waiting to order my daily iced coffee. It's not just a drink—it's a mood, a statement, a lifestyle.
As I hand over my payment for that cup of chilled caffeinated magic, it hits me: How much am I really spending on this little luxury of mine? I grab my receipt, flip it over, and start to do the math. As the numbers start to add up, I'm a little taken aback. Suddenly, my seemingly harmless daily indulgence doesn't feel so innocent anymore.
That was the wake-up call, the jolt stronger than any espresso shot, that propelled me to embark on a journey of discovery. A journey to seek out more cost-effective—and, importantly, healthier—alternatives to my beloved iced coffee.
In this exploration, we've whipped up some incredible iced coffee delights together in previous blog posts. Remember the protein-packed punch of our Protein Iced Coffee Recipes? Or the cooling, exotic flavors of Thai Iced Coffee and Japanese Iced Coffee? Who can forget the indulgence of our Coffee Ice Cream or the sweet delights of French Vanilla and Caramel Iced Coffee? We've sipped on the creamy delight of an Iced Cappuccino and explored the rich, deep notes of Vietnamese Iced Coffee. And of course, we've celebrated the season with our Pumpkin Spice Iced Coffee, an autumnal favorite that bridges the gap between summer chill and fall flavors.
Each of these iced coffee variations has its charm. However, today we're venturing into new territory—a land where taste, health, and budget all harmonize. Welcome to the world of low-carb, high taste: the Keto Iced Coffee. So, refill your cup, and let's embark on this journey together. The only rule? Sip, don't gulp—we have plenty to savor ahead.
What is Keto Coffee?
Keto coffee, whether hot coffee or cold coffee, is a high-fat, low-carb coffee that fits into the ketogenic diet's macros. It's a blend of strong coffee, healthy fats like coconut oil or unsalted butter, and sometimes a little bit of liquid sweetener, for those who like a hint of sweetness.
These ingredients make it more than just a delicious keto-iced coffee. They transform it into an energy powerhouse and a tool for weight loss. The healthy fats help you feel full longer, thereby curbing unnecessary snacking, and the caffeine provides an energy boost, making it a go-to keto breakfast drink for many.
How to Make Keto Iced Coffee?
You'll need cold brew coffee, heavy cream, or a dairy-free alternative like coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk, a sugar free syrup or vanilla extract for a hint of sweetness, and plenty of ice cubes.
Making your own iced keto coffee at home is better than ordering keto iced coffee at a coffee shop. It’s not only cost-effective but also ensures that you control what goes into your drink, keeping it genuinely keto-friendly. You can use heavy whipping cream for a creamier texture or opt for almond milk to keep it dairy-free.
- Brew a strong coffee, either as a cold brew or a hot coffee that you cool to room temperature. If you prefer decaf coffee, feel free to use it.
- In a high-speed blender or a mason jar, combine the coffee with your chosen healthy fat (like MCT oil or coconut oil), heavy cream or almond milk, and a sugar-free vanilla syrup or other flavored syrup of your choice.
- Blend or shake until creamy.
- In a glass filled with ice cubes, pour your keto-iced coffee.
This refreshing, delicious keto-iced coffee can be customized to suit your palate. Whether you enjoy it as a vanilla iced coffee or add a dollop of whipped cream for a special treat, this low-carb iced coffee is sure to become a favorite.
Keto Iced Coffee Recipe
- 1 cup of strong cold-brew coffee
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or unsweetened almond milk (for a dairy-free option)
- 1 tablespoon of MCT oil or coconut oil
- Sugar-free vanilla syrup or stevia to taste (optional)
- Ice cubes
- In a high-speed blender, add your cold brew coffee, heavy cream or unsweetened almond milk, MCT oil or coconut oil, and your choice of sweetener.
- Blend on high until all the ingredients are well combined and the mixture turns creamy.
- Fill a tall glass with ice cubes, then pour your keto-iced coffee over the ice.
- Stir gently and serve immediately.
- French Vanilla: Add a splash of sugar-free French vanilla syrup to your blender before blending.
- Mocha: Add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to your blender for a keto-friendly mocha twist.
- Pumpkin Spice: In the fall, add a few shakes of pumpkin spice to your blender before blending for a seasonal delight.
- Hazelnut: Use sugar-free hazelnut syrup for a rich, nutty flavor.
- Caramel: Drizzle a small amount of sugar-free caramel syrup over the top of your iced coffee for a sweet treat keto caramel iced coffee.
This recipe is easily customizable. If you want a creamier iced coffee, add more heavy cream or almond milk. If you prefer it stronger, reduce the amount of cream. You can also adjust the sweetness level by adding more or less sweetener. Experiment with the flavor variations and find your perfect keto-iced coffee blend!
Keto-Friendly Coffee Creamers
Starting a day with a cup of coffee is an experience many of us (myself included) cherish. With every sip, it feels like we're taking on the day one caffeine-fueled step at a time. But for those of us on a keto diet, traditional coffee creamers can be the roadblock standing between us and our wellness goals.
These creamers are often riddled with sugars and artificial sweeteners that can send your carb count skyrocketing. And that's the last thing you want in the keto world, where you're aiming to keep your carbs low and your body fueled with healthy fats. Don't let your coffee ritual sabotage your progress; with the right creamer choices, you can have your coffee and drink it too!
Keto-Friendly Coffee Creamer Alternatives
There are plenty of keto-friendly coffee creamers that let you have your coffee just how you like it—rich, creamy, and guilt-free.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: This is a favorite amongst keto enthusiasts for its low carb count and creamy consistency.
- Heavy Cream: It doesn't get any creamier than this, and it's high in fat, making it a great keto choice.
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream: These are high in fat and low in carbs. Plus, they add a hint of tropical flavor to your coffee.
- MCT Oil or Powder: Short for Medium Chain Triglycerides, these fats are easy for your body to use for energy—perfect for your keto lifestyle.
- Butter or Ghee: Blend it into your coffee for a rich, frothy treat, a style often called bulletproof coffee.
- Nut-based Creamers: There are several brands that offer creamers made from cashews, almonds, and other nuts that are keto-friendly and delicious.
There are a variety of brands out there offering keto-friendly creamers, like NutPods, Califia Farms, and Omega PowerCreamer.
DIY Keto Creamer Recipes
If you prefer a DIY approach, try this simple recipe.
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- vanilla bean
- Mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of heavy cream, and a vanilla bean scraped of its seeds.
- Heat it gently until it simmers, let it cool, and store in the fridge.
- Use within a week, and enjoy a splash of keto-friendly creaminess in your morning coffee.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is a popular keto drink made from coffee, grass-fed butter, and MCT oil.
Unlike keto friendly iced coffee, which can include dairy or non-dairy milk and optional sweetener, bulletproof coffee focuses on higher fat content from butter and MCT oil, providing a more significant energy boost and feelings of fullness.
To incorporate bulletproof coffee into your keto diet, simply replace one of your daily meals or snacks with this high-fat, low-carb beverage.
Stepping into the art of homemade keto iced coffee isn't just an avenue for pocket-friendly options—it's also an exciting journey into the realm of wholesome alternatives that don't skimp on taste. By keeping an eye on the ingredients gracing your coffee, you hold the reins to ensure it meets your dietary needs flawlessly.
Our heartfelt wish is that this guide kindles a spark in you to voyage into the universe of keto-iced coffee. Remember, the magic of home-brewed coffee lies in its adaptability—you're free to customize recipes to impeccably suit your taste buds.
As we continue our coffee journey together, I'm excited to delve deeper into the world of low-carb, high-fat coffees. I'd love to hear about your experiences with keto iced coffee—your favorite recipes, any tweaks you've made, or new flavors you've discovered. Until next time, here's to your health and coffee enjoyment!